In this previous post, I alerted readers to some Halloween-oriented events that were not necessarily high-lighted elsewhere on Hollywood Gothique. Now I'm back on Halloween Day to add a few more last minute suggestions.
Hollywood Gothique is not exhausitive in its Halloween listings. With some exceptions, we tend to promote attractions we have experienced first-hand; therefore, if you see something listed on the Amateur Haunts page or the Professional Haunts page, that usually represents a kind of endorsement. Haunted attractions listed on their own separate pages, like Knott's Scary Farm and the Queen Mary Shipwreck, have been reckoned even more deserving of attention.
However, we cannot possibly get to everything each Halloween; no matter how much we would like to, there simply is not enough time, especially when so many of the smaller, amateur haunts are open only on Halloween night. For this reason, many get left off our list - some of them undeservedly so. I'm trying to rectify the problem by mentioning them here.
These are haunts that we have not experienced ourselves. Some of have been recommended to us; others have simply been around long enough to show they've stood the test of time. All of them have piqued our curiosity in one way or another, and we will try to get to as many of them as possible tonight.
- Haunted Space Station 2006. Created by some people who work at the Sci-Fi Channel, this features a 45-foot tall rocket and "props & scenes from several Sci-Fi features." there is a toddler "no scare" group every ten minutes. $1 admission. 843 Commonwealth Avenue, Venice, CA 90291. 5:00 to 7:30pm.
- Realm of Terror Haunted Maze. This long-runinng amateur haunt (going strong since 2000) features a five-minute walk-through maze covering 1500 square feet. Admission is free. 23125 Eriel Avenue, Torrance, CA 90505. 6:00 to 9:00pm.
- 68 Cent Crew Theatre's Haunted House. Some actors in Hollywood have been doing this since mid-October. Admission is $7 for adults, $5 for those under 14 ($1 if you donate a canned good). 5419 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, 90027. 8:00pm to midnight.
- The Haunt with No Name...Yet. Now in its 11th year, this amateur haunt takes place from dusk till 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. 19351 Hatteras Street, Tarzana.
- House at Haunted Hill. This amateur yard haunt has an impressive set of photographs on its website. If the actual experience is half as good as the online one, this will be worth seeing. 4400 Saltillo Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91364. Dusk till 11:00pm.
- Santa's Chop Shop. As the name implies, this one looks pretty gorey - but fun. 5016 W. 118th Street, Hawthorne, CA 90250. Admission is $1. Runs from "Dusk, till All Are Gone."